Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Supergross

When J. D. Salinger died two weeks ago, I decided not to write an obit for him, mostly because—I'm sorry; I'm a philistine—I've never felt like Catcher in the Rye or his Glass family stories were all that great. (Actually, I've always thought his mannered, self-conscious characters were... well, phony.) But I finally got around to reading some of the coverage of his death, and dude, who knew the man was such a skeeze? His relationships with women were insane, ranging from his crappy parenting to his deeply messed-up marriage to his ten-month-long affair with Joyce Maynard in 1972 when she was eighteen (and looked twelve) and he was fifty-three. (Seriously. She was a teen author for Seventeen. Where were her parents?)

Anyway, I hope they do make a movie of Catcher in the Rye, and I hope Brett Ratner (ooh, no, Michael Bay!) directs it. Suck on that, ghost of Salinger!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ha ha ha! Posts like these are why I follow this blog, you know. :-)

1:05 PM

 
Blogger Yulianka said...

Thank you! I'm glad to see that my, uh, "highly personal" take on the ol' literary greats resonates with someone!

1:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan Fox could play the girl Holden meets (Sunny?)... or, better yet, his sister.

2:43 PM

 
Blogger Yulianka said...

That would be SWEET JUSTICE.

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Have a piece of book-related news? Send it our way!
Links

wordcandy.net

wordcandy.net Bookcrossing bookshelf

Girl Detective

Mysterious Mysteries

A Study in Sherlock

OldCookbooks.com

sfsignal

MangaBlog

Austen Blog


Previous Posts

All Unquiet Things, by Anna Jarzab

Brilliant with a side of more brilliant

Freefall, by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams

Tunnels and Deeper, by Roderick Gordon and Brian W...

Girls Gone Victorian

You do have to admire her gall, though.

Like The Rules, but even sadder.

Silk purse/sow's ear

Eye candy

Yen Press Extravaganza (Part III)


Archives



Powered by Blogger