Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Churning 'em out

Wow: According to the AP Wire, James Patterson has signed on to write seventeen(!!!) books for Hachette in the next three years--11 adult thrillers and 6 YA books.

I'm not much of a Patterson fan to begin with (I've only read his Maximum Ride books, which have always struck me as mildly entertaining but deeply stupid*), and I shudder to think how this new, break-neck release speed will be reflected in the quality of his work.

*Okay, mostly I hate the way he ends all of his chapters on dramatic pauses, most of which go nowhere. Seriously, there's about a thousand of 'em per book, and they all read like this:

End of Chapter 131:

...and then something hit the front door with a terrifying crash.

Beginning of Chapter 132:

It was the newspaper delivery. We split up the comics and went on with our breakfasts.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have not read James Patterson books yet, but I love your going-nowhere-cliffhanger description! And I do have to wonder how much thought can be put into stories written that quickly.

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Yulianka said...

Glad you liked it! And while I'm making that one up, I promise you: it is totally drawn from life. The books are full of those. Nearly every chapter ends on a "cliffhanger", and there are about 150 chapters per book--each one 1-3 pages long.

And don't even get me started on the idea that Max and her cohorts can fold their massive, massive wings down into a backpack-sized lump, thereby allowing them to pass for human. I might swallow a storyline about a bunch of human-bird hybrids, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

11:27 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

And don't even get me started on the idea that Max and her cohorts can fold their massive, massive wings down into a backpack-sized lump, thereby allowing them to pass for human.
Tragically, I have seen that idea before. It never sits well. It is like saying that I can fold an eagle into a wallet-size so I can conveniently carry my preferred bird of prey in my pocket.

{patting self down while muttering} "Osprey, osprey... that's here somewhere... Aha!" {pull out a flat shape} "No, that's the falcon. Uh oh, I think that I put the osprey in my other jacket."

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Yulianka said...

Hee! I know! Where would the wings go? I realize this shouldn't be my biggest problem with the premise of these books (it's not like this is the only law of physics Patterson is breaking), but those tidy folded-up wings are officially the straw that broke my credulity's back.

2:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Have a piece of book-related news? Send it our way!
Links

wordcandy.net

wordcandy.net Bookcrossing bookshelf

Girl Detective

Mysterious Mysteries

A Study in Sherlock

OldCookbooks.com

sfsignal

MangaBlog

Austen Blog


Previous Posts

Mark your calendars, anime geeks.

Neil Gaiman makes a Christmas movie!

Emma on the TV

Robert Downey Jr. continues to work the comic book...

Suzanne Collins chats with NPR

Merge of the Titans

Fantastic Mr. Fox movie smells of win

Clutch the pearls!

Popular fiction in the classroom?

Twilight + wedding dresses = girl-entertainment ja...


Archives



Powered by Blogger