Monday, May 12, 2008

Hollywood matchmaking

There's been action on the Bronte movie adaptation front: according to Variety, Natalie Portman will NOT be playing the heroine in the upcoming Wuthering Heights movie, and according to BuzzSugar, Ellen Page WILL be playing Jane Eyre.

To which I reply: meh.

I have always found Natalie Portman to be an irritatingly over-hyped actress, but I've always found Wuthering Heights to be an irritatingly over-hyped book, so they seemed like a great fit. (It's not like I was planning to actually watch the movie... I just appreciated the symmetry of actor and subject.) I'm more attached to Jane Eyre, and am therefore concerned about the Page casting. I've never actually watched one of her movies*, but one wonders how an American hipster darling is going to handle period clothes and a British accent.

*I remember seeing the Juno trailer and wondering who decided the world needed a knocked-up teen girl version of Seth Cohen. Wasn't the original one overplayed enough?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My biggest problem with this news is that Jane Eyre is supposed to be PLAIN, and Ellen Page is only "plain" by Hollywood standards--i.e., she's not Skipper Barbie.

10:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Have a piece of book-related news? Send it our way!
Links

wordcandy.net

wordcandy.net Bookcrossing bookshelf

Girl Detective

Mysterious Mysteries

A Study in Sherlock

OldCookbooks.com

sfsignal

MangaBlog

Austen Blog


Previous Posts

Mind-bending

Mother's Day gifts for the procrastinator (Part II)

Mother's Day Gifts for the procrastinator (Part I)

Out and about

May Book Giveaway!

Behold: A low-budget vampire version of the Gossip...

The Invention of Hugo Cabret gets even more visual

Picture shows

House of Many Ways

The Stone Gods, by Jeanette Winterson


Archives



Powered by Blogger