Thursday, April 27, 2006

Moving out...

Well, I am finally back from my long weekend of checking out our nation's capital for possible areas to live. Yes--in just a few short months I am going to pack everything up and move to Washington, D.C. I am super excited about a new city... but I am so not into the actual packing and moving thing. (You can just imagine how many boxes of books I have.) Luckily Julia & Nathan are coming out to help me with the move! Right, guys? Right?


One of the best resources that I found is the Newcomer's Handbooks. This series has great descriptions of the various neighborhoods in the city and the surrounding areas. These books have been really helpful in narrowing down the parts of town I might want to live in (and the parts of town that I will never be able to afford). Plus, they're a great resource for accomplishing all those pesky little chores that are associated with moving, like hooking up utilities, getting a new licence, finding a doctor or vet, volunteer opportunities--that kind of thing. I would recommend these books to anyone who is thinking about moving to any of the cities they have covered. They're a great starting tool.

Also, if you know anyone who is moving to a new city due to a new job or maybe graduating from college, check out their publisher's "Welcome Packages". These come with a copy of the Newcomer's Handbook for that city and various other resources, like a Zagat Restaurant guide and city map. (Plus they stick in some cookies and candy to munch on while you freak out over the expense of moving.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Have a piece of book-related news? Send it our way!
Links

wordcandy.net

wordcandy.net Bookcrossing bookshelf

Girl Detective

Mysterious Mysteries

A Study in Sherlock

OldCookbooks.com

sfsignal

MangaBlog

Austen Blog


Previous Posts

Walpurgis Part III

Walpurgis Part II

Walpurgis Night!

Why have an Easter egg hunt when you can read a bo...

Behold:

Wordcandy weekly book snippet

Double Ugh.

Ugh.

Cover Art

Why, Wendelin Van Draanen? WHY?!?


Archives



Powered by Blogger