Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Punctuation Avenger!

I was listening to BBC Radio yesterday, and they had a story about 62-year-old Stefan Gatward, a Kent resident who finally lost his temper over the incorrectly-punctuated sign on the end of his street ("St Johns Close") and painted in an apostrophe.

Anyway, the BBC wanted to know what their listeners thought: was it too nit-picky, or did Mr. Gatward have a valid complaint*? I'm no grammar expert, but I am a big fan of the apostrophe, so I was very happy to hear that nearly everyone they polled supported Mr. Gatward's position--particularly because my doom-and-gloom mother frequently tells me that we're all moving towards a new, punctuation-free future, and I better get over it or I'm going to give myself a headache.

So there, Mom.

*The expert opinion featured in the BBC story also pointed out that until we have an inflexion-based way of communicating the difference between statements like "the pills' effects are dangerous" and "the pill's effects are dangerous", we might want to be careful about dumping time-honored stylistic flourishes.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The expert opinion featured in the BBC story also pointed out that until we have an inflexion-based way of communicating the difference between statements like "the pills' effects are dangerous" and "the pill's effects are dangerous", we might want to be careful about dumping time-honored stylistic flourishes.
Ha ha! Yes! I am glad that the value of proper punctuation is still recognized in some circles.

1:22 PM

 
Anonymous anna said...

Indeed. Good grammar costs nothing!c

2:53 PM

 
Blogger Marie Cloutier said...

Anna- yes, and yet it is so valuable when it comes to effective communication!

7:34 PM

 
Anonymous Natalia Maldonado said...

I was so happy when I read this. You don't know how many times I've been tempted to do this myself!

12:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And his little apostrophe looks so nice!

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Have a piece of book-related news? Send it our way!
Links

wordcandy.net

wordcandy.net Bookcrossing bookshelf

Girl Detective

Mysterious Mysteries

A Study in Sherlock

OldCookbooks.com

sfsignal

MangaBlog

Austen Blog


Previous Posts

Too much money, too little sense

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Fahrenheit 451: dumbed allll the way down?

Contest news...

James M. Cain novel coming soon to TV?

The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal, by Sean Dixon

Castration Celebration, by Jake Wizner

Killer Summer, by Ridley Pearson

My wallet would cry.

By Invitation Only, by Jodi Della Femina and Sheri...


Archives



Powered by Blogger