Thursday, April 13, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

No, this post is not another Laurell K. Hamilton bashing post (although after her last book it really should be--it sucked, Laurell!). Today we are talking about those books that you love in spite of themselves--books that, though you might not be inclined to admit it, are total comfort reading.

My personal guilty pleasure is the book Nobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I know the plot of this book is bad... really bad. Dr. Jane Darlington, a genius physicist, realizes on her 34th birthday that she desperately wants a child. Sperm banks are not an option because they tend to be stocked with smart sperm, which would result in a freakishly smart child. She just can't do that to her unborn baby (she was tormented by her own abnormal intelligence as a child) so she decides to find a stupid man to be her 'donor'. Where better for her to look but to Chicago Stars quarterback Cal Bonner? Then there's this plan that involves her posing as a high class prostitute and tampering with a condom to get her baby. (Super classy!) But then, of course, we get to the forced marriage, hillbilly grandmother, Lucky Charms tampering, shotguns and so, so much more.

So I know that this plot is absurd, leaning more toward "Who would ever admit to reading this, let along liking it?", but I don't care--it's absolutely hilarious. It is the one book on my shelf that I routinely read at least once a year and still enjoy.

Now that I have admitted my personal guilty pleasure, I would love to hear about yours. Come on, I know you all have one!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Yulianka said...

I don't know how guilty I feel about this, but I probably re-read Nora Roberts's 'Dance Upon the Air' at least once a year-- and it's not because I like the romance that much, either. It's because off all the FOOD. The heroine is a chef, and the book takes place in the fall, and all those descriptions of cookies and soups and muffins... pardon me. I must head off and eat something.

But for true guilty pleasures, nothing beats vintage Harlequin romance novels. The sexual harassment. The mind-blowningly dated gender roles. The cheese...

9:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a tattered copy of Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey on my shelf that I read at least once a year while eating brownie mix straight up. As I get older I can't decide if the book or the food is more embarrassing!

7:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Have a piece of book-related news? Send it our way!
Links

wordcandy.net

wordcandy.net Bookcrossing bookshelf

Girl Detective

Mysterious Mysteries

A Study in Sherlock

OldCookbooks.com

sfsignal

MangaBlog

Austen Blog


Previous Posts

They're always telling us to buy classic pieces, r...

Wordcandy weekly book snippet

Crack the Code...

We're back!

Out to lunch

Wordcandy weekly book snippet

Wordcandy Loves DIY Projects!

Excuse me...

A Public Service Announcement

Wordcandy loves Roethke's poetry


Archives



Powered by Blogger